As we live on an island the responsible usage of water is essential.
Well, it should be all over the globe as water is life and very precious so it should be used consciously, only because it comes out of the tap does not mean you can abuse or even waste it. Ibiza has an underwater connection with the Pyrenees, but this supply is limited and can not be abused without any control. On top the rainfall is less with every year, and the prognostics foresee that it will rain even less the upcoming years. And to put even more pressure onto it, every year there are more people visiting the islands for holidays or to stay for a living, therefore it is existential that we cherish the value of water and use it respectfully, not only for us but for future generations as well.
Here you find some basic rules to contribute to a responsible usage of water in your daily life, you will see they are quite easy to follow, and the one or the other might even surprise you:
• Only use your dishwasher or washing machine when they are fully loaded.
• The water you use to wash your veggies and fruits can later be used to water your plants.
• Did you know that the (waste)water of the shower, the washing machine, dishwasher and your sinks can be reused to water your plants? The detergent does not harm the plants, they even benefit from it and grow better. But never use Chlorine, it kills plants – as it kills you too.
• Water your plants or in the early morning or after sunset, like this the water does not evaporate in parts and your plants will grow a lot better.
• If you take a shower, only open the tap half, there is still enough water coming out to have a decent shower.
• If the boys close the tap while they have a shave it would be also highly welcome.
• And if all close the tap while brushing their teeth we covered it almost all.
• Don’t clean the floor with the waterhose, nor your garden paths, do it the oldschool way with a broom and, if necessary wipe the floor – it makes a huge difference.
• If you see a rotten water pipe in your neighbourhood or any other loss of water caused by leaks tell the neighbour, and if in public report it in the local water and drainage office. More than half of the water in Ibiza is lost because of rotten pipes and leaks – this is crazy!
• Tourists, please don’t throw your towels on the floor every day in your hotel so they get washed – you don’t do it at home either, no?
• Only because you are on holiday does not mean you can have an eternal shower.
• Water does not come out of the tap but out of cisterns, wells, seawater desalination plants and other systems, think about the whole circuit and use it responsably.